Dorothy Colby, Director of Community Engagement
Born and raised in Hauula on the island of Oahu, Dorothy Arriola Colby’s career stems from a personal connection to dementia care, with her grandmother having Alzheimer’s disease, her father having a stroke-related dementia, and her father-in-law who had Parkinson’s related dementia. These intimate instances resulted in Colby being the first Positive Approach to Care Trainer in the state of Hawaii, helping people living with dementia. Her mission to help families understand what is happening to the brain of their loved ones who have dementia through providing public education classes. Colby has been working at Hale Kūʻike since 2005, with an accumulated experience of 20 years of professional and personal experience in caring for people with dementia, and has helped hundreds of residents and their families navigate through the course of the disease.
Education and Experience:
- M.A. from Bryn Mawr College
- Certified Positive Approach to Care™ Trainer and national mentor
- Hawaii Alzheimer’s Disease Initiative Memory Care Navigator
- Dementia Friends Master Trainer & Champion
- Rosslyn Carter Institute Dealing with Dementia Trainer
- Hale Ku’ike is an Adult Residential Care Home (ARCH) for people living with dementia. In Native Hawaiian, “Hale” means “house” and “Kūʻike” means “to understand.” Hale Kūʻike or “house of understanding” reflects our mission to provide the highest level of care for people with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia-related illnesses.
Hale Ku’ike sponsors FREE monthly public dementia workshops. Led by Dorothy Colby, Hale Ku’ike Director of Community Engagement and National Positive Approach to Care Certified Trainer, these workshops provide essential information on how to have a positive and meaningful relationship with loved ones with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia throughout their journey. These sessions help care providers, family members, and anyone who is trying to cope with the changes that happen with dementia. To see upcoming classes and register visit, halekuike.com.
- Dorothy Arriola Colby
- Hale Ku’ike Director of Community Engagement
- Address: 2627 Pali Highway Honolulu, HI 96817
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 808-525-6770
- Fax: 808-525-6776
Kupunawiki.com is a resource that does not provide any direct services other than information and a list of service professionals. Kupunawiki.com, consultants or associates, are not experts in any of the fields relating to senior housing, finance, estate planning, health, or real estate.
Kupunawiki.com does not generate any revenue or referral fees from the contributors or those listed as service providers. Kupunawiki.com is not a real estate website although there is an affiliation with the following contributors: Brandon Lau (RB-19267) and Andrew Leong (RB-21696) who are licensed real estate partners with ChaneyBrooks Choice Advisors at 1440 Kapiolani Blvd., Suite 1015, Honolulu, HI 96814. The information contained on Kupunawiki.com is intended for informational purposes. It should not substitute legal, accounting, investment, medical or other professional advice. Always seek a competent professional for answers to your specific questions.